Sunday, January 11, 2015

Here it comes, the insanity creeping back in......

Now that Christmas is past and a new year has begun, my thoughts turn again to.......gardening.  I know, seriously, it feels like I have just finished up last years garden.  Well in a way I did just cause I have those cabbages I picked a couple of weeks ago, still fermenting making sauerkraut on the counter.  I plan on canning said kraut next weekend.  I found Brats marked down at the store yesterday so hubby is happy and waiting on the kraut to get finished.  I know what we are having for dinner next weekend.  But I digress.  Anyway, now is the time when I start planning things out.  What goes where, when to plant, and how much I will plant.  I feel the need to be ultra organized this  year due to working more hours in my job.  But then I always want to be organized when it comes to gardening.  I never am.  Lets just say the garden has a mind of its own and I am there to manage the chaos.  Like herding cats.

Indoors, I am trying to balance the need for convenience with the need to watch pennies.  Yesterday I bought packages of individual packs of baked potato chips for convenience weekday mornings packing lunches.  Now in my frugal defense, Ounce to Ounce it ended up being cheaper than buying the bigger bags of chips and packaging them myself.   I also bought canned drinks; cheaper than buying them at work or school.  Home brewed tea doesn't travel as well.  So everyone knows the drinks are for lunches only and the tea is for home.  I did draw the line at prepackaged cookies.  I came home and made a batch of 100% whole wheat low fat choc chip cookies and packaged them myself in snack bags.  It made enough for the week so I should only have to  make a batch once a week.  Those are also for lunches only.  Want the recipe?  Well I just so happen to have it on hand.  Here ya go:

Whole Wheat Choc Chip cookies

1 stick butter
1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 ts vanilla
2 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup choc chips (chopped up if you can)

Preheat the oven to 350.  Melt your butter and add the yogurt, sugars, egg and vanilla.  Mix well.  Ina separate bowl mix up you flour, salt and soda.  Add that to your butter/sugar mixture.  Mix well.  Add in your choc chips.  Drop by tablespoonfuls on to a cookie sheet.  Dip a glass or other flat usable object into flour and press down the cookie just til flat.  Bake 10 min @ 350 degrees.  Remove from oven.  I mashed mine flat again gently once more as they cooled, but you don't have to if you don't want to.  Makes 40.




No comments:

Post a Comment