Sunday, November 27, 2016

I didn't forget! Hobby Horse tutorial


I didn't forget!  It took me a bit with the Thanksgiving holiday and my Etsy store taking my attention.  I am happy to report I have this finished.  It won't take as long as it took for me to post this.  I would say you can finish this in a few hours as long as you have everything.  I had to buy a dowel which cost me about $2. So here ya go:

First you want to choose your fabric.  I used some scrap stretch denim I had on hand.  Denim, Canvas, twill, etc; any sturdy fabric will do well.   I put right sides together (that's the part that would be on the outside, the nice looking side).   I drew out what could be termed as a horses head free handed on my fabric with some chalk.  You can use anything to draw this.  No one will see that anyway.  Make it big enough where you will have a dece3nt sized head.  Mine was about 12 inches from crown of head to snout.  Once you draw it out, cut it out.  



Sew your pieces together just along the top of the snout from about the bridge of his nose to where his eyes would be.  Use a 5/8 inch seam allowance.


Lay your horses head flat with the right side looking up at you.  See below.  Press it flat.  Pin ribbon,  bias tape, or anything else you are planning on using for a bridle all the way across.  Sew in place close to the edge of each side of the "Bridle"



Now you will do the same for the cross pieces of the "Bridle" to finish it up.  Place these at about the half way point between top and bottom of the horses head.  Again, sew along close to the edge on both sides of the "Bridle"


See below and you can see what I mean by close to the edges of each side.



Turn up the hem on the neck about 3/4 inch on each piece.  I zig zag stitched the fabric before I turned it up to make sure it doesn't fray.


 Now pin every thing back together lining up the "Bridle" as much as you can.  See Below.  Se up the rest of the horses head using a 5/8 inch seam allowance.  Leave the neck open.


Trim your seam to about 1/4 of an inch all around the head.  I had the nose a little too pointed so I trimmed it to make it a little more square.  See below.


Pinch the seam together and clip a little "v" into the seam on all the areas that curve.  It will be a row of "v's".  Don't cross the stitching line.  That would be bad.  Makes a hole in your horse.


Turn right side out and press.  Lookie below!  It's taking shape!

I have a good sized bag of fabric scraps that I used to stuff this little guy.  You can use stuffing as well if you have it,  but the idea for me was to make this without having to buy anything if I can help it.  Kinda shape as you stuff to make it look less lumpy and more horsey.  Make sure you get the stuffing down into the nose area and any other tight fitting places.  You will stop stuffing when it is full to the opening of the head.  Leave the neck free of stuffing.


Now for the hair!  Ahem...mane.  I have a large yarn needle and can add hair by pulling it through the fabric and tying it off.  If you don't have the ability to do this, you can sew the hair onto the head with a needle and thread or glue it on.  Use fabric glue  if you do.  To do it the way I do, first you thread about a 9 inch piece of yarn onto your large needle.  Poke it into the horse head pushing the needle and yarn all the way through.  Leave yarn on either side of the "poke".  Take both ends of yarn and tie it into a knot.  Try to keep your "stitches" in rows moving from the center top of the head down on either side.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  It just needs to look like a head of yarn hair.


Once you have all your "Hair" in, he needs a hair cut.  Trim the yarn pieces evenish.


I happen to have googly eyes left from a former craft, but you can use two buttons or even sew in eyes with embroidery thread or felt.  You can also paint eyes on with fabric paint.  I sanded the back of the googly eyes and, using a hot glue gun, glued the eyes onto the horse.  I put glue on the horse and on the eye.  Then smooshed them together.




To finish up I took a 1 inch diameter dowel and pushed it as far into the horses head as possible.  Moving stuffing to one side as I pushed.  I put the top of his head down on a table and pushed the dowel in.  Then, using a hot glue gun, I ran a strip of hot glue on the inside neck and on the dowel.  I squeezed the fabric around the strip of glue.  Then on the outside, I took a staple gun that uses JT 21 staples and stapled the outside of the horses neck to the dowel, fitting the fabric around the dowel as I went.  I covered the staples by tying a strip of red bias tape tightly around the neck wrapping twice before I tied it off.  If you don't have staples, you could use small screws.  The hot glue is for holding the horses head while you fasten it with the more secure fasteners (staples or screws).  It won't last long other wise.


Here he is!  looks kinda "Bieberish" I guess".  Oh!  I forgot!  I used a button for his nose and a strip of yarn hot glues to his head for his mouth.  Also, You can opt to paint or stain the dowel.  I choose to spray it with clear acrylic.


No comments:

Post a Comment