Tuesday, May 29, 2012

I NEED VODKA! Uhhh but not why you would think

This year I finally broke down and said I was tired of trying to start herbs from seed and I was going to just buy perennials at the store and divide them later as the need arises.  I had such good luck with my lemon balm I wanted to see what else I could try.  I tried Thyme, Rosemary, Mint, and Oregano.  I didn't realize how well they would do in their own bed, nor did I realize that when they are happy they like to spread.  Here is a pic of my mint as of about 2 weeks ago it has grown to about twice this size since
On the other side of the mint is my oregano and it has added quite a bit since this was taken.  Anyway, thanks to my prolific herbs, I am needing to find a way to use them in a hurry.  I started doing some research on the herbs to see if their were any benefits besides the obvious cooking ones.  I was amazed at what I found.  Rosemary oil can be used for pain relief, hair care, respiratory problems, helps relieve stomach cramps, and rosemary teas can be used on the scalp to help delay hair loss.  Thyme has anti fungal properties.  Mint can treat dandruff and lice as well as has antiseptic properties and you can apply a drop to your forehead to help relieve headaches.  Mint is also a natural pesticide.  Yay!  Oregano is both and anti fungal, anti viral,and antibacterial herb.  It is also an anti inflammatory herb.  It can help with eczema, psoriasis, athletes foot etc.  Those are just a few of the benefits to these herbs. Now I don't have any idea how true these claims are,  but with an abundance of herbs I am willing to look into it.  If nothing else these herbs smell wonderful and the essential oils from these herbs would make a wonderful addition to a bath or a simmering pot.  I am willing to give it a go.  I am always trying to find healthier things for my family.  I will keep everyone updates on what I find, but for now that is why I need the vodka.  I need it to make tinctures and extracts.  I already have olive oil for the oils.  I am going to play a bit to see what all I can do.  I am going to go to the library sometime soon and see about getting some more books on the subject.  Right now I am just learning and am in no way an expert.
So aside from that, the garden up date is: 60lbs of potatoes this year.  I still have about 5 more plants in the ground that looked good so I am letting them grow a little longer, but so far it is 60 lbs potatoes.  For my calculations it comes out to about .34 lb.  Not bad.  It isn't as good as 2 years ago when I got about twice that, but considering it got so hot so fast, and something got my plants( I think), then it isn't too bad at all.  I still came out ahead of buying them at the store so I am happy.  They are beautiful potatoes though.  I love red potatoes and that is what these are. Once the potatoes were up I planted more corn.  I would like to be able to get enough corn to can quite a few pints.  Broccoli is done and I have ended up with about 12lbs of that in my freezer so my calculations on that are .66lb and that is without the waste you would normally end up buying if you got it at the store so happy there as well.  Blueberries are starting to come in.  I figure I will be able to pick about a quart by Friday.  Looking forward to that.  Last year I got about 35lbs.  I would love to get at least that this year as well.  I was pleased to find three little baby blueberry bushes that had come off the mother bush.  They have since been clipped from mama but they are still planted and mulched in her shadow.  Once they go dormant in the fall I will move them to where their new home will be.  Hmmmmm where will that be?  I have to think about this.  So aside from all that life is great.  I have my worries like anyone else, but my main thing is to remember God is in charge and He knows the plans for me; numbers the hairs on my head, my name is written in His hand.  He will never leave me or forsake me.  He is forever faithful.  With a friend and heavenly father like that how can I fear.  I hope you guys have a really blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment