Friday, December 14, 2012

Ever had one of those days?

In the past 3 months we have been beset with one financial set back (that's putting it mildly) after another.  Lets see, we had to replace our freezer, our dryer died and needs to be replaced, my stove has two settings, off and high,our heat pump is no longer heating cause the compressor is out and while that is supposedly covered under the warrantee , it will still be another $500 + dollars to repair.  In addition to that, the tub in the boys bathroom has a big crack in it, the dishwasher is leaking and has damaged the floor so that needs repairing.  Our dog, Mona, ate a swimming noodle and so the vet bill was ridiculous.  And finally Christmas is here and taxes are coming.  Oh and just for kicks lets throw in the fiscal cliff, a very real, very worrisome thing.  Won't get political though. Now, some of these things we have put on hold; the dryer(hanging clothes on the line), the tub (boys are using our shower for now), the stove (making do), the heat pump was converted back to the old system so we have heat for now, and we don't use the dishwasher. Our focus right now is to have enough in savings to cover the taxes we know are coming.  After that we can address these other things.
With all that being said, there are just some days when I just want to throw caution to the wind, fix everything at once, get me a used dryer, and stove, etc and then start to rebuild after that. I want to go to the store and buy...... convenience foods!  GASP!  I go into rebellion and want to buy store bought bread!  I want to buy Tide laundry soap and.....expensive shampoo, or pay to have my hair cut.  I tell myself I won't have a garden, or can, or anything else.  Then as my husband says, we come back to our senses; preferably before we spend a small fortune.  I know these things will wait.  We prioritize our  needs and are grateful for what we do have.   I am sure I will plant a garden this year.  I know I will can.  I know homemade bread is sooo good and convenience food is soooo not goo (for you).  But just for a bit I have a tissy.  Then I go back to sanity.
So in an attempt to return to sanity, I have to get up from here and take the peanuts out of the oven, get ready to go to the grocery store to get things for Christmas dinner as well as regular groceries, and maybe come home and hang out a few more loads of laundry while listening to Manheim Steamroller's Christmas CD.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment