Thursday, December 20, 2012

Taking a rare moment to wax political

First and foremost, let me begin by saying there is no way anyone can even comprehend the pain and suffering the families of the victims of Sandy Hook are enduring right now.  My heart and prayers go out to them.  I wish I could snap my fingers and fix it all; heal every hurt, wipe every tear, bring the lost ones back to life, but I can't do that.  All I can do is pray and sympathize.
With that being said, in the middle of all the high emotions felt through out the country, we have to really ask ourselves; " would more gun laws really have stopped this from happening?"  If we are honest, we have to realize that more guns laws like the current democratic proposal to reinstate the ban on assault weapons will do nothing to stop a criminal from obtaining a weapon.  First and foremost we have to realize this shooting took place in a state with very tight gun laws already in place.  Second, he didn't use assault weapons.  Do we really think that by passing stricter guns laws, a criminal will say "Darn, I was gonna buy a gun to rob that bank, but they have background checks so (sigh) I guess it is back to finding a job".  Really?  What do gun laws do but make it harder for law abiding citizens to obtain a gun for personal protection.  Now re-look at the Sandy Hook situation, or Colombine, the Virginia Tech shooting, or any other mass killing in recent history.  Instead of helpless people, give one of them a gun.  Could that Principle, trained in how to use a hand gun, which is kept locked up in her office for emergencies only, have used that gun to stop the killer in his tracks at the outset of this killing spree? Better yet, give each teacher the ability to have a conceal carry permit and the training to know what to do in these situations and how many lives would be saved?  We ask our teachers to work in a war zone, then provide them with no recourse to protect either their students or themselves.  If it is illegal for someone to own guns, then the only ones who will have them is the government and criminals.  I for one do not accept that scenario.
Ok, I'm done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment