Thursday, April 18, 2013

Well wouldn't you know it!

Yes it is time once again for the annual breaking of the tiller.  But don't you fret!  I can adapt.  It slows me down a little, sure, but I can still do what I need to cause being the wonderful planner that I am (not); I turned under my beds last fall and so I am not having as hard a time using a shovel to  remove the weeds that have gathered over the winter as well as turning under the soil.  I also am pretty thankful I have the three raised beds in.  That helps immensely cause I don't need a tiller to keep them in line.  Yay for me! 
I am finding that raised beds are a definate must for a gardener.  It is so much easier to handle things.  Now I am still not too sure about the need to spend a crazy amount of money to do raised beds.  I have to do it on the cheap or not at all.  So far the concrete beds seem to be working, but I am still anxiously awaiting the little heads of lima beans and cucumbers to break thru the soil.  Getting a little nervous on that account, as well as for my tomato seeds.  Now I have a long growing season so I think I have time to replant if necessary, but still......little nerve racking. 
I am tickled to find two volunteer potato plants growing of course in a place they shouldn't be growing.  Hey, I'll take it.  Gonna move the little buggers though in a few days.  So right now I have successfully growing in the garden, brocolli, beets, marigolds, radishes, herbs, few potatoes and cabbage.  On the wait and see list are my lima beans, onions, cucumbers, cilantro, and tomatoes.  I have back up seedlings to plant of squash, tomatoes, and eggplant. 

On the fruit bearing front, I have baby blueberries and blooms on my apple trees.  Not many apple blossums, but a few.  Blackberry bushes are greening up nicely.  The peach trees are a wait and see.  Not sure if the late frost zapped my baby peaches.  Update to follow on those. 

So that is my garden update for 2013.  Pics will follow later I promise!  So have a great day!  And go play in some dirt.....Good for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment