Sunday, July 14, 2013

Beet Berry Jelly

I know, are you thinking "Beets?".  Yes.  That is what I said.  I have made Beet Berry jelly for the past few years.  All thru the  year I keep a freezer container(in the freezer of course) and add the blueberry juice drained off my canned blueberries as I use them.  In the spring I plant beets, which are then harvested, and cooked.  The cooked sliced beets are frozen to give to my parents who love beets, and the juice from the beets is strained thru a coffee filter and saved in the freezer until I have enough to make the jelly.  See my family, including my DH hate beets.  I made Harvard beets from fresh picked beets one  year.  The response was less than stellar.  My Dh tactfully said they were good.....for beets.  Rubic said "They taste like dirt", and Einstein said "Uh I think you forgot to wash them".  FYI, They were washed, and peeled.  Need to have that disclaimer.  I would like to think I can cook.  SO!  Anyway, while my family won't eat the beets, they will eat the jelly.  Go Figure.  So I split the diff.  My parents get the beets and we get the juice.  So anyway, here is the recipe for anyone interested in trying something new.

Beet Berry Jelly

4 cups beet juice (Or in my situation a mixture of beet juice and fruit juice.  Any type juice would work except OJ)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 pkt sure jell
6 cups sugar

In a large pot mix the beet/berry juice, lemon juice, and sure jell(Pectin).  Bring to a rolling boil for 1 min.  Add the sugar.  Bring back to a rolling boil and let boil for 3 minutes.  Have some clean, hot, jelly jars ready.  Fill each jar leaving about a 1in head space.  Wipe rims and put on your sterilized lids and rings.  Process in boiling water bath canner(With jelly jars I just use a reg stock pot.  You just need to have a pot deep enough to cover the jars by 1.5 to 2 in of water) for 10 min. Makes about 8 jelly jars.  Well it makes 8 if you don't do what I did and knock one over.  FYI that is hot and very messy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment