Monday, October 13, 2014

Seriously Simple Black Bean Burgers

So Rubic is our resident vegetarian.  I have to give him kudos cause he has turned down all his old favorites: steak, sausage, bacon, etc.  I also have to say if meat prices keep going  up I might join him out of necessity.......Nah.  Not yet anyway.  That being said, it wouldn't hurt for me to substitute a few meatless meals in our diet.  In order to keep Rubic in food, I rely(or have relied) on the B1G1F sales at Publix.  They periodically have Boca Burgers on sale 2.89 B1G1F.  So 1.45 gets a box of veggie burgers.  Not too bad, but I can't keep that up.  He eats two at a time.  So I got online and started looking for a good recipe for black bean burgers.  All of them seemed to have chopped peppers, carrots, and multitudes of spices.  While I am sure they are very good, I need something Rubic can put together on his own cause I am not doing it from now unto eternity....just sayin.  I also want something that will taste "Burgerish".  Anyway, I took what I read and came up with a very simple recipe for black bean burgers.  I also figured the cost and I can make 12 patties= to 3 boxes of Boca Burgers for under $1.  I still have left over black beans too!  Not to mention Rubic will eat 1 of these as opposed to two Bocas so really it equals 6 boxes or Boca.  So without further adieu:

Seriously Simple Black Bean Burgers

1 15 oz can of black beans; drained
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 oz bread made into crumbs
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Worcestershire sauce

So I take my bread and put it in a food processor to make the crumbs.  Add your onion and run it thru the processor as well to finely chop it.  Add your drained beans, salt, and pepper (you can add more salt and pepper if you like) and pulse the processor until the whole thing is mixed together.  It is cool if your beans get mushed up.  You want this.  Some beans will be intact.  You want that too.  It will be really thick. Spray your pan with cooking spray.  Take 1/4 of the mixture and shape it into a patty like you would ground beef.  Place in the pan and dribble a little Worcestershire sauce on it.  Brown each patty until good and brown on each side.  Remove when brown and let cool on a wire rack. 

That's it!  And Guess what!  Only 144 calories per patty.    Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment