Saturday, April 25, 2015

Now, If I could just master Bagels (Hint, make it yourself recipes to follow)

So here I am waiting on the batch of doggie biscuits to come out of the oven.  I lucked up today and did not need to make bread for the week.  Instead I just focused on making crackers and doggie biscuits. FYI, not the same recipe.  So I have completed the crackers and they are cooling, and the dog biscuits are baking away.  The dog biscuits are easy.  Once the timer goes off it is just a matter of turning off the oven and letting them cool inside.

Anyway, while I wait I thought I would share these recipes with you.  Enjoy:

Wheat Thin Type crackers

3 cups rolled oats
2 cups flour
1 cup Wheat Germ
3 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup oil
3/4-1 cup water
additional salt to taste

In a food processor, place all of your dry ingredients.  Pulse your food processor to mix the dry ingredients.  This will also grind up your oats some to make them less bulky.  After its mixed, continue to pulse your food processor while you slowly pour your oil in.  Add the water slowly the same way, only stop adding water when the dough forms a ball.  You don't want it too wet.  Divide the dough into threes.  With a rolling pin, roll each third thin, about 1/8 of an inch think.  I try to keep mine nice and square, but do it how you want.  They taste the same either way; square, round, jagged, etc. I also roll mine directly into a cookie sheet so I don't have to move them.  Once the dough is rolled out thin, use a pizza cutter to cut them into crackers. Sprinkle with salt and then lightly roll the rolling pin over them to mash in the salt.  Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15 minutes.  Let cool. This makes equal to about 3 boxes of wheat thins bought at the store.  Cost me about $1.


Dog Biscuits

2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup dry milk
1/3 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
1/3 cup oil (or you can use bacon grease)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup water

In a mixing bowl, mix all of your dry ingredients.  Add the egg, oil, peanut butter, and water.  Divide the dough in half. Take one half and roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.  Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into the size biscuits you desire.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Continue until all dough is used.  Bake in a 350 oven 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and then let them cool in the oven.   This makes a little more than what comes in a box of milk bones at the store.  It cost me $1.05 to make.  Less if I use left over bacon grease.  A 1 1/2 lb box of milk bone type biscuits cost $1.49 at Aldi.  This makes a little more than 1 1/2 lbs.  I make these after I have already had the oven on to make something else so no preheating and I am done when I just turn the oven off.


So there you go.  make it yourself!  And to reiterate my previous statement, If I could just master Bagels, my life would be complete.  We will see.  But until then, enjoy these recipes.








No comments:

Post a Comment