Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Hope I have



"But Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and be always ready to give an answer to every man who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear" 1 Peter 3:15.

I've been asked in the past what it would take to make me no longer believe in God; more specifically Jesus.  Why do I believe the way I do?  I can tell you for me personally it is the presence of Christ in my life and the change it has brought.  But that doesn't "Prove" His existence.  To each his own I guess.  My facts would be belittled and labeled "wishful thinking" by some.  I can tell you this for a fact.  My faith could only be shaken if presented with the actual un-risen body of Jesus.  You see my faith is not contingent on how the earth was created, or if we evolved or not.  My faith rests in a risen Savior.  

"But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?  If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.  And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith.  More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised.  For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either.  And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins.  Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost.  If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied." Corinthians 15:12-19.


The above referenced verse was spoken by Paul.  A man who once persecuted even to the death those who followed Christ, but whose conversion was so great he later gave his own life for Christ.  Would 11 of 12 disciples give their lives (violently) for a hoax?  My Dad made a great point one day at a family dinner.  If you were the disciples then and you were wanting to perpetuate a hoax, knowing how the culture was back then, would you have had the first announcement of the Resurrection made by a woman?  Interesting thought. 


I need no reason to prove Gods existence.  I know what I was.  I know what I am now.  I know what He brought me out of.  The love it took to come and die, the power it took to rise from the dead, and the grace that is offered to me (and you) still.  That is the reason I serve him.  That is the reason for the hope I have. 


This Easter, as with every Easter, is special for me.  More special than when I was young.  You see, it is because of Easter that I am who I am.  Christmas is great because He came.  Good Friday because he died for me (and you), but Easter!  Easter is when HE ROSE!  And that makes allllll the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment