Saturday, February 13, 2016

Frugal Interior Design

Did you guys think I wasn't posting today?  I know it's late, but I wanted to get something finished before posting about it here.  So here we go!  I finally got around to repainting the mirror from my dad's childhood dresser.  What do you think?  By the way, I avoid selfies at all cost so this picture is taken where I am not in the mirror.


I don't know if you guys remember my dad's dresser.  When I got it a few years ago it looked like this:


I set to work to refinish and repair it.  The bottom left side was cracked and had not been repaired correctly.  I had to take everything out, line it all up correctly, and glue and screw it back together.  Unfortunately I found there was too much pitting to be able to remove all of the paint.  Instead I opted to paint it and it became my sewing desk/table.  That's it on the left below.


I wasn't using the mirror with the dresser and so it sat for a long time in my closet waiting for my attention. I was finally able to get to it.  I love having it in my dining room as a wall mirror.  I am happy to say the mirror redo was done with spray paint and hardware I already had on hand so my cost for a little pep in our interior decor was minimal.

Also, I have been able to finally recover two chairs from my dining room.  I bought these for $12 a piece at a thrift type store during my Mom/daughter birthday excursion a couple of years ago.  The fabric was also a purchase from goodwill a while back and I've had it on hand since.  I got it for like $1 a yard or something.  I'm hopeful I have enough to make a runner for the table later.




As you can see from this last Christmas Pic (complete with cat), I have three different pairs of dining chairs, but they all seem to go together.  I have the two I just recovered, 2 really solid wood chairs that match, but are not original to, the table, and two green wrought iron chairs that match my bakers rack (not seen here).  All of them are thrift store finds.

I guess my point of this post is part "Hey look what I did!" and part "you can do this too".  Thrift stores, yard sales, and your own creativity can go a long way toward making a house a home.  The important thing is to surround yourself with things you love, things that mean something to you.  My home has need of many repairs inside and out.  We're working on it as we go, but it's a home.  It's our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment