Friday, June 21, 2013

For those with restless legs. Something to think about

For three years I managed to go without any artificial sweeteners and still managed to lose a little weight.  Through the past year I have managed to maintain that loss without following any other plan but one of eating non processed, whole grain foods.  Now, don't get me wrong; I have partaken of pizza, ice cream, cakes, cookies, butter, sugar, whole milk, etc.  What I didn't eat was diet foods, low fat/fat free stuff.  I didn't get skinny.  I will never be skinny.  What I am is able to wear the clothes in my closet.  I am happy here. 
Anyway, I say all that to confess I fell off the wagon.  First I bought Crystal Light so the guys would have kool aid without using so much sugar(instead of them making Lemonade from lemon juice and sugar.  I know, I know, that's much better).  Then I bought 4  12 pk cases of diet drinks cause they were on sale and I thought one a day wouldn't hurt me.  Yea....."All the best laid plans of mice and men".  This all started a couple of months ago.  What also started a couple of months ago was my restless legs (and shoulder) getting worse.  It was getting to the point where I was only able to get about 3 hours sleep a night.  My old tricks to alleviate the symptoms didn't work.  Not wanting to go to the doctor to get a prescription (yet another chemical), I went online to see what others did to naturally deal with restless leg.  What I found shocked me.  I read a post where a lady said that diet drinks aggravated her restless leg.  Upon reading that I immediately stopped drinking diet drinks and instead drank just tea and water.  That was 4 days ago.  I have had 4 great nights of sleep, only getting up to go to the bathroom (all the water lol).  I come back to bed and am immediately asleep.  I can set my watch as to when I will get up.  After going to bed @ 10:30, I get up at 1:30, back to sleep, and up for the day @ 5:30.  That is my normal wake up time.  I am sold on the fact that the artificial sweeteners were contributing to my condition.  I am back on the band wagon and will not touch another sugar free anything.  If anything I am going to focus even more on what I eat to make sure I am giving my body what it needs to function.  Like I said before, I will never be skinny, but that doesn't mean I can't take care of myself.  If you drink diet drinks or sugar free products, and have this condition, think about dropping them.  You may be pleasantly surprised and the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment