Saturday, June 8, 2013

It has been brought to my attention......

Yes, it has been brought to my attention that I have been remiss in including many of my "make it yourself recipes".  All this time I thought I had included things like my pancake syrup recipes and many others.  Now in my defense, a lot of my recipes can be found in the black belt grocery posts. I have posted about "Taco Seasoning, Season Salt, Choc Syrup, Quick Bread mix, White Sauce mix, Granola, and Salsa". Those can usually be found in the list of most popular posts on the right of my blog page.  Also, for those wanting to find archived posts, those can be found if you scroll down a ways on my page.  So now that that is out of the way, I want to include a few recipes that might help tame the grocery beast.  So without further adieu:

Pancake Syrup recipe:


3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
3 Tbs molasses (if you don't have molasses, use 3 cups of brown sugar in place of the granulated sugar and then skip this ingredient)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp butter flavor (I never buy butter flavor.  I just put 1TbS real butter in the recipe)
1 tsp maple flavor (I buy this at Walmart.)

Real simple to do.  Put everything into a sauce pan.  Stir well.  Cook it over med/low heat until it comes to a full rolling boil.  Turn off the burner, leaving the pan on the burner to cool.  Once cool, store in the fridge.  I like to reheat the syrup when I am using it on pancakes or waffles.  Just don't stir it.  It will make it crystallize a little.  Which honestly makes a great candy.  Ooops!  I outed myself. LOL

Wheat thins Crackers

3 cups uncooked quick oats
2 cups flour (allpurpose)
1 cup wheat germ
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup oil
1 cup water

Mix all together.  It will make a stiff dough.  Take about 1/2 of the dough and roll it thin on a well floured surface or wax paper.   Make it wafer thin guys.  You know what wheat thins look so eye ball it to see.  Once rolled out, take a knife or better yet a pizza cutter and cut into squares.  Transfer carefully to a cookie sheet. Poke the crackers with a fork, sprinkle salt over them and bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes.  Keep an eye on these as the crackers around the edges may get brown first.  I have also rolled the dough out on the cookie sheet and cut them out there, saving the step of transferring the crackers.  These things are really good and very addictive.  We had an ice storm one year, and while we were playing a board game we pulled the bag of these crackers out and, along with some cream cheese,  ate the whole bag.  Price wise these crackers end up being about 1.20 per pound which is a lot less than store bought.

Shake and Bake

4  cups flour
4 cups ground cornflakes cereal (grind these in the blender.  Works like a charm)
2 Tbs sugar
4 Tbs salt
2 tsp garlic
2 tsp onion powder
3 Tbs paprika

Mix all and store.  This makes alot!  I will usually measure out a little to use.  I dip the meat into the shake and bake, then into an egg/milk mixture (1 egg and about 1 cup milk mixed together well)then back into the shake and bake.  Spray your cookie sheet or baking pan with Pam.  When you have dipped each piece and laid them on the sheet, spray them once again with Pam(cooking spray).  Then bake them til brown and crispy. 

So I have a lot on the gardeing/chickens front,but I want to wait until I get my camera working so I can show picks.  So that post will come later.  I also will post more recipes later as well. So until then, SEE YA's!



No comments:

Post a Comment