Sunday, May 11, 2014

Not all sugars are created equal...

Over the years I have tried to incorporate more healthy alternatives to our diet.  While I am not slim by any stretch of the imagination, I feel like the choices I have made have helped our family over all.  Unfortunately over the years the damage of highly processed foods, artificial sweeteners, and junk have taken their toll.  That is damage not overcome over night, but I am satisfied in that over all I am in better shape than I was.  What changes I make, or have made, have to fit in our limited budget and give me the most bang per buck.  Things I can't change I can't worry about.  It is just a process, a journey if you will.  Changes I have made over the years are: more whole grains, less processed items, more lean meats, etc.

One of those changes has been incorporating raw honey into our diet when I can.  I use it in granola, my bread, and as a topping for peanut butter sandwich, toast, etc.  I first looked into the benefits of raw honey because of Rubic, my youngest son.  Poor guy has so many pollen/out door allergies, spring can be a misery for him.  This year has been worse than others.  As a result I am looking for more ways to incorporate raw honey.  Why do you ask?  Well you probably have not asked, but what other lead in do I have.  I am gonna tell  you anyway.  Raw honey, bought local to you, is great for helping with outdoor allergies.  It is full of vitamins, minerals and enzymes, and it also has antibiotic, anti fungal and anti viral properties.  Cool right?  You can also use it for wound dressings.   Now the same can't be said for pasteurized honey.  If you are using pasteurized honey you might as well use sugar.  It's cheaper.  Another interesting tidbit.  If you are diabetic, raw Tupelo honey is a good sweetener to  use.  A good way to have a little sweet and not use anything artificial.  Now honey is still a carb and so a diabetic will need to figure that into their daily allotment, but Tupelo Honey has a lower glycemic index than sugar.  Ask your doctor or dietician about it and get their OK before trying it.

 !!!!  Now fair warning here, Raw honey is not and I do mean NOT appropriate for children under 2 years of age.  It puts them at risk for infant botulism. 


All that being said, I tried something new tonight.

1 quart of raw honey
2 tsp of butter flavoring
1 tsp maple flavoring
1 tsp vanilla

Warm your honey, then whisk in the flavorings.  Makes an awesome pancake/waffle syrup.  Try a half recipe if you don't want to commit so much raw honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment