Sunday, March 22, 2015

Nuthin to do but wait.

So back in the first part of February, feeling the gardening monster creeping up, I started an experiment to see if starting my green bean and squash seeds early would help with controlling pests; i.e squash bugs, and bean beetles.  I had no idea green bean plants would grow as tall and as fast as these did.  As a result I had no choice but to go ahead and put them in the ground.  The squash seems to have fared well.  I put them in a few days ago, and covered them with straw.  Yesterday I took the straw off and they seemed OK.  The bean plants are too tall for that, so I have a plan for when the temps get too close to the border for beans.  I will tent some plastic over the row until the nearly freezing temps are gone.  We should get those temps, according to the weather man, this coming Friday and Sat.  Winters last gasp(I hope).  One thing I do know is to start my bean seeds indoors next year around the end of Feb or beginning of March.  Beginning of Feb might be a little too early (ya think?).  So I wait to see how they will do this year.

Everything else is doing fine.  Spinach, Beets, Tomatoes, and herbs are growing well.  My blueberry bushes are covered in blooms as are my peach trees.  I did manage to spray them this year before the buds opened.  One the blooms fall and the leaves are out, I will start a spray routine again..  Peaches are one fruit that seem impossible to not spray.  My blueberry and blackberry bushes are really effortless with the exception of picking them.

On the inside of the Homestead, we are still living on just one check.  Still moving forward so far in getting things paid off or fixed.  The car is paid off, which is a glorious feeling.  We are hopeful to have the truck in the shop sooner rather than later.  Not sure how long these hours at work are going to last.  I'm hopeful they last long enough for us to get the truck in the shop by the end of May.  After that I can go back to 20 hours a week with no problem.  We just want to get that truck fixed, but we are realistic too in that if we can't get the truck fixed, we can use that money toward the purchase of another vehicle.  Without a car payment.  That's the kicker.  We are too close.

So since we still are working towards these goals, I am really trying hard to not spend if I don't have too.  I am making sure I am using up the things in the fridge that need using up soon.  I had some yogurt(plain) that was needing to be used this morning and so I made low fat chocolate muffins and a batch of freezer bisuits.  Here are the recipes:

Freezer Biscuits (compliments of www.hillbillyhousewife.com)

6 cups Self Rising flour (you can use All purpose, just add 3 TBS Baking Powder and 3 tsp Salt)
1 cup shortening
2 cups milk(I used half yogurt and half milk)

Cut shortening into the flour then add the milk.  Stir just until mixed, then dump out on the counter and knead it into a ball of dough.  Cut out your biscuits and lay them out on a cookie sheet.  Place in the freezer.  Once frozen, store in a container.  Use as you need them.  To use take out the biscuits you need and lay them on a cookie sheet.  Bake in a 450 oven 10-15 min or until golden.  Good biscuits.


Low Fat Chocolate Muffins

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 egg
2/3 cup yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients together until well incorporated.  Add the yogurt, egg, milk, and vanilla.  I use a whisk to mix it all together.  Pour into a muffin pan.  Bake 350 oven for 20 min.  Makes 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment