Sunday, May 31, 2015

And another frugal thing....




So happy to see our power bill down over $30 compared to this time last year.  I was a little worried because we had a stretch of hot days and the Heat pump was on a lot.  Part of the reason, I believe, for the drop is lack of use.  Both Rubic and Einstein are in school right now.  While that was somewhat a factor last year as well, it is more so this year with both of them being in school.  However, I don't believe that is the only reason for the down shift.  In addition to their being in school, we moved the "Man cave" and "Gym" around which enabled us to keep the thermostat set much higher and still be comfortable to hang out in the new living room.  I've also been trying to be extra vigilant and make sure everything is turned off before we leave in the morning.  I do believe these things are making an impact.  I am looking forward to being home where I can make an even bigger impact on our power bill.  Things I'm planning to do:

1.  Start back hanging clothes on the line-  Once dry, these can be tossed in the dryer for about 5 minutes to "fluff" and they will be as if dried fully in the dryer.  Much less power usage.  Now once winter rolls around, it's in my best interest to dry inside because the payoff of helping to heat the house will more than compensate for the dryer use.  However, during the summer months the dryer heats the house and that causes the AC to work harder.  In our house the thermostat is in the laundry room.  This is great during winter, not so great in summer.

2.  Timing my baking to my advantage-  In summer months I will be able to bake/cook in the cooler hours which in turn will keep the AC from working too hard.  In the winter, I will time my baking to add to the heat in the house to keep the heat pump from working to hard.

3-  Unplug EVERYTHING not in  use.  I can't tell you the number of times I come across a cell phone charger or MP3 charger left plugged into the wall with nothing attached.  In addition, I will be able to unplug other items not in use during the hours no one but me is home.  Before everyone gets home, I can plug in what will be used be the rest of the family.  Items not in use, not even on, can still draw power.  It's called "Vampire Power" Mwahahahaha.  Sorry, waxed Boris Karloffian there for a minute.  Vampire power is power pulled from the circuit and sent out to nothingness.  I still pay for it.

My plan is to be ever vigilant in trying to find new ways to save a penny.  Like I've stated before, we're taxed on money we make, but not money we save.  These three tasks are a start, but definitely not the end.  So any other tips or tricks out there I am not aware of?  I'm all ears.  Post away.  I can use all the help I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment