Saturday, May 21, 2016

We now return you to your regulaly scheduled program

So did you think I was going to talk of nothing but diet stuff from now on?  No, no, no.  Life goes on and there are other things to bore you with besides that!  I've been sewing, and gardening.  But I do have some news!  Einstein officially graduates from technical college on June 17th!  So proud of that man!  I am so proud of all of my kids.  They turned out pretty good in spite of me.  But this is Einsteins time to shine.  He's overcome so many obstacles due to his Aspergers, but he did it!   He's always impressed me with his determination.  Nothing seems to phase him as he just keeps on keepin on.  Now we have his pay off.  I wish I could truly convey all that he has overcome, but that would be more than you could read I'm sure.  Suffice it to say we are beyond happy and proud.  This is his high school graduation picture from 4 years ago.  Handsome ain't he.


In addition to that news, things are starting to get rockin here on the homestead.  Now that we are up to 14 hours of daylight, it seems the hens have decided to really start laying eggs.  We have received 4 eggs each day for the past three days, and were getting on average 2-3 a day. 4 a day is max though cause we have 4 laying hens right now.  Of course this is after I decided we could use some store bought eggs cause we were getting low due to the hens not laying as much.  Now I have 4 dz store bought eggs in the fridge and am trying to stay ahead of the now productive hens.  I guess as problems go, that would be the one to have.

Lettuce and spinach are coming in faster than we are eating it.  I have given some away to my mom and my daughter.  So in addition to finding a use for eggs, I am needing to find a use for spinach.  Hence this mornings breakfast:

Spinach and Cheddar Crust less Quiche

1 cup milk
1/4 cup water
3 eggs
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped spinach
1 cup flour
1/4 chopped onion
season to taste w salt and pepper

Put all of this in a blender and pulse a few times til it is all mixed/chopped together.. Pour into a greased or sprayed pie plate or in my case and iron skillet.  Bake 350 degrees til set.  Bout 30 min.  Makes 4 large servings.

Broccoli is about done and the beets are still coming in. I didn't plant much of those.




                                     Blackberries have blooms and green berries so Yay!


Blueberries are starting to purple up some, and strawberries are still coming in.  Everything else is growing well.



I have always been blessed to not have to spray my blueberry bushes, but I have had problems with garden pests; mainly Mexican Bean Beetles.  Last year I tried something different and it seemed to work.  I planted all of my beans at once and early in the growing season.  By the time the beetles were showing up,  I was ready to pull the plants up.  Once the plants were gone, I let the area remain bare until late summer.  About 2 months before our first scheduled frost, I planted any other beans I wanted.  These were bush beans because the pole beans would have taken too long to produce.  Since I planted later in the summer, the beetles were gone and never had the opportunity to come back.  I'm doing that again this year.  It enabled me to not have to spray.  I'm trying to get away from sprays and commercial fertilizers.  I have planted so many beans this spring.  I don't think I will need to plant in fall.  In fact as my beds and row empty, I will be turning in some compost and/or chicken manure to add nutrients over the winter.

Oh!  I said I had been sewing.  Take a gander at my latest creation now up on Etsy.  It is "Yankee Doodle baby" and it is a little denim romper with a matching reversible sun bonnet.  The reverse side is red gingham.


So see?  Not all diet talk.  How have things been going in your neck of the woods?

No comments:

Post a Comment