Monday, May 2, 2016

Well that's it, the Garden is in....and out!

Yep!  I did it!  I met my goal of getting my entire garden in without the use of a tiller.


I'll post a better picture once everything is up and growing. It's a huge feeling of accomplishment for me at least.  Thursday was the last thing...corn.  I wasn't going to plant corn this year  The corn on the cobb takes up a lot of space in the freezer and my oldest son prefers it off the cobb.  In addition canning corn takes a looong time.  Since I still have some jars of canned corn I figured I would let it go this year.  That is until I saw hubby's sad face.  He loooooves corn on the cobb, especially during the summer when we grill.  We will grill the corn in the husk and then put butter, salt, pepper, paprika, and Parmesan cheese on it.  So,never one to disappoint my Knight in shining Armour, I planted corn.  The plan is to pick what we want to eat as it gets ready and then let the rest dry on the stalk to use to supplement the chicken feed.

Even better than the garden being in, is the stuff coming out of the garden.  I've picked lettuce, spinach. asparagus, strawberries,garlic,and Broccoli.   It has been great not having to buy this stuff at the store.  I can't afford to buy Asparagus at the store, but in all honesty I have never really liked it.  I planted it for Dh (man he's spoiled!).  The other evening I prepared the recent small harvest.  We will get a bigger harvest next year.  Here is what I did to prepare the Asparagus.

I Do Like Asparagus! Asparagus:

1 lb of fresh Asparagus (fresh from the garden is best.)
2 Tbs Butter
3 cloves garlic minced (harvested this week too)
Salt and Pepper to taste

I would tell you to remove the woody ends of your Asparagus, and if you buy it at the store that is the case, but I didn't have to do that.  Melt the butter in a pan.  Add the minced garlic and some salt and pepper.   Saute the garlic for a couple of minutes, but not too long.  Add your asparagus spears and toss to coat.  Cover and cook on a low med heat about 10 min.  This will make them crisp tender.  If you want it more tender, then cook a little longer.

I love Asparagus this way!  Who knew!

I'm excited to see as well, the blueberries covering my bushes, and I actually have a few peaches this year on my one remaining peach tree.  I asked a local orchard how and when to spray my peach tree and was told every ten days and/or after it rains.  I am a woman on a mission.  I want to get peaches this year.  Still waiting for blooms on my blackberry bushes, but they tend to do well.  We will see.

So that's how my garden is doing.  How is yours!?

No comments:

Post a Comment