Sunday, February 3, 2013

This is sooo cool!

Well Dh and I went to Nora Mills to get my Wheat Berries and wheat germ.  When we got there the place was packed and cold.  You have to remember this is the original stone mill from this area.  Anyway, the mill was running when we got there.  I have been there so many times, but never was there when the mill was running.  It was so cool!  There are these huge stones at least 3 ft in diameter at the base of an enormous hopper.  We watched as the corn funneled down into the stones.  At the bottom of the stones you can watch as the grain flows down into a hole in the floor to the lower level.  While the wonderfully nice man was ringing up my purchase, I asked him if the stones had ever been changed.  He said they were the original stones about 137 years old.  He said every once in a while they need to take the mill apart and re-groove the stones, but they are the original stones.  They came from France looooong ago.  They only run the mill on Saturdays so if you are ever in the area on a Sat, go up and see.    If you love that kind of stuff like I do, it is so great to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment