Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Proverbs 31woman or Martha?

Not Martha Stewart GUYS!  Martha of the Bible!

 "As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.   She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said.   But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
  “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,  but few things are needed—or indeed only one.   Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”" (Luke 10 vs 38-42)

While in Church Sunday I received an awesome compliment from a lady at my church whom I admire greatly.  She referred to me as" a real Proverbs 31 woman".   I won't post the whole thing , but you can read the verses by clicking here.  While I am honored to be referred to that way, and it is something I aspire to, I have to ask myself "am I a Proverbs 31 woman or am I Martha?"  There is a fine line between the two.  It is possible to be so busy upholding the Proverbs 31 ideal that we forget to be Mary at Jesus feet.  I fall into this trap often.  I get so caught up in all the things I do, that I forget Who I serve.   God doesn't need me to bake, garden, can, sew, etc.   Those things are fine in and of themselves, but if they take my eyes off God, something is out of balance.  He wants me to love and serve him.  .

It is a hard thing to not get caught up in everything we have to do to raise a family, have a career, or both. Women are made to multi-task.  It is a great thing to be able to do.  Just a thought...Have you ever noticed that we have all these gadgets to save time and yet we are busier and more stressed that ever before.  Huh, go figure....Anyway, multi-tasking sure does come in handly when raising children.  We make time for our spouse, our job, our children, and at the end of the day, there is little left for God.  It is no wonder God made the father to be the spiritual head of the house.  It isn't because he loves us (women)less.  If anything it is (in my opinion) his way of saying "you already have so much on you, this is one thing I can delegate to someone else."   That doesn't negate the need for my own personal relationship with Christ.  That I am responsible for. 

So while honored by the comparison to the Proverbs 31 woman, I think I am going to try to be more like  Mary......soon as I clean the kitchen.....KIDDING!

No comments:

Post a Comment