Saturday, August 22, 2015

Wa, Wa, Waaaaaa

Very excited this morning to make bread again. So excited I was up at 4:30 making it.  Ever heard the term "have a hand"?  It's a term used when referring to a skill you have perfected over time and now comes easy.  Well the other side of that is to "Lose your hand" at something.  In other words, one becomes less adept at that particular skill due to a length of time not using that skill.  This is a long drawn out way of saying I am a bit rusty when it comes to bread making.  I haven't made bread in a long while.  Today's loaves taste good and make great toast, but not the pretty sandwich bread I'm used to.  Hence the title to my post.  It's just a minor set back.  We will focus on having awesome grill cheese sandwiches, or toast for breakfast for a few weeks until I get used to the bread making again.  It's a hard job but someone has to do it.  (smile).  In addition to the bread I made two pizza crust for dinner tonight and they seem fine.

Sooooo excited to be starting my last week in my outside the home job.  Nervous too.  It is a big step.  I have a peace about it, but it is a little unnerving.  I would say the planning has already started, but that would be wrong.  The planning started 5 months ago when we decided to take this step.  We have successfully lived off of Dh income alone for the past 5 months.  My income has gone to get other things paid off.  Now the rubber is hitting the road as we will be doing this for real.  Other planning started 5 months ago as well.  I would go to sleep and wake up planning what I would do when I have the time; from the garden, baking, sewing etc, to additional things like saving on electricity, groceries, water, etc.  My full time job will be to make the income Dh brings in go further.  In addition, I will be the main errand runner, chauffeur, accountant, etc.  I want my home to become the sanctuary it should be for my entire family (including me).   That is the desire of my heart.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is my yearly doctor visit in September.  This past year has been horrible toward my health.  I am up a few pounds, as are Dh, Rubic, and Einstein.   Between the guys having class, both Dh and my full time job, and having only one car for a while, there was very little time for health.  In addition, in preparation for leaving my job, our garden had to go in and we had to live as if we had only one income.  That took even more time.  The house suffered as well.  I can feel the difference in myself and I don't like it.  Come September 1st that changes.  We are all refocusing to a healthier lifestyle, and the house will get the attention it deserves.  Not sure if the changes in my health will be reflected in my lab results by the end of September, but I will know it is on the right track.  Was all of this worth it?  Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!  Would I do it again.  YES!  We knew going into this past 5 months it would be hard.  Now we get to reap the rewards of that sacrifice.

Update on my daughter and her family.  No big surprise the stay at home parent plan is working well for them as well.  She has told me there is even more money freed up than she originally imagined.  Both my daughter and son in law are finding they have more time for the kids and each other.  The kids seem more even keeled.  My daughter says she actually finds herself looking for something to do (and she is the working outside the home parent).  I have told her she needs to take up her crocheting or reading again.   It works!  I understand not everyone has the ability or desire to do this, but I will tell those who want to or can do this.  It works!  It can be done!


No comments:

Post a Comment