Monday, December 14, 2015

Mind Blowing tip of the day!

Well for me anyway.  Definitely life changing at least.  Let me share.  My mom and I were talking the other day via phone and she told me how when she uses butter in cookies they spread out.  She said they taste great, but aren't pretty like she likes them.  I'm like "I have the same problem"!  So armed with that thought I gave myself a mission (Should I choose to accept it ((and I did)).  To see if you can reduce the amount of butter to get the cookies just so, but not affect the taste.  Well I have succeeded!  I have made a batch of cookies with 1 stick of butter in place of the 2 sticks called for in the recipe, and without the texture of the cookies or the taste being affected.  Einstein says he tastes no difference.  So I have discovered when using butter in place of margarine in cookies, use 1 stick of butter for the 2 sticks of margarine called for in the recipe.  You can, and probably should, also reduce the number of eggs by one.  Not only does this reduce the amount of fat in your recipe, but it also reduces the cost of ingredients.  I love me some money (and calorie) savings.  In this recipe I also reduces the sugar used by 1/3 without affecting the taste.  So here is my chocolate chip cookie revamp.

My Chocolate Chip Cookie Revamp

1 Stick butter softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Brown sugar
1 ts vanilla
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips (although I used 1/2 cup and chopped them up)

Beat butter 30 seconds.  Add sugars and mix with your mixer until fluffy.  Add vanilla, Egg, soda, and baking powder.  Mix well.  Add flour 1 cup at a time ending with the quarter cup.  Stir in chips.  Bake 325 for 10 min.  Remove from oven and let cool just a minute or too then remove from cookie sheet to a cooling rack to finish cooling.  Amounts vary depending on size of cookie, but would probably make 3-4 dozen easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment