Wednesday, June 15, 2016

My go to emergency bread (recipe)

There are times when my mind doesn't function like a steel trap; more like a wet noodle.  In fact I would say the "steel trap" description is more an exception than the rule.  I cope with this mainly due to the fact that the noodle lands on different things each time.  In other words, I don't always forget to pick my son up from work......or..anyway!   Every once in a while it will sneak up on me that I am out of bread, it's evening, and I need bread first thing in the morning for Dh lunch.  Much like this evening.  Happily I took my oldest son, Einstein, around to submit resumes, picked almost 4 lbs of blueberries, solved a minor first aid need for my grandson, steam cleaned my carpet, washed two loads of clothes (didn't get to hang them cause we were supposed to get rain ((we didn't grrr)), took Rubic to class, Einstein to a Graduation meeting, and while calmly washing dishes I realized I had no bread for lunch tomorrow and it was almost 8 pm.  Not to panic.  I have a really easy go to recipe that I use in situations just like this.

Cuban Bread

5-6 cups flour
2 TBS yeast
1 TBS salt
2 TBS sugar
2 cups hot water

Put 4 cups of flour in your mixing bowl with your salt, yeast, and sugar.  Mix together.  Dump the 2 cups of hot (110-115)water into the bowl.  Stir 100 strokes or 3 min with a mixer.  Stir in asmuch remaining flour as you can with a spoon.  Dump out on the counter and knead dough for 8 minutes (you can do this in smaller batches of minutes at a time).  Shape into a ball and put in a greased bowl turning once to coat.  Let rise 15 min.  Punch down and divide into 2 loaves.  Shape each into a ball and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Slash an "x" in the top.  Brush with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.  I let mine rise a little extra here because I like a lighter loaf, but you don't have to.  Let rise 10 minutes at least.  Place a cake pan in the bottom of the oven and pour boiling water init.  Place the loaves in the oven and then preheat to 400.  Bake 40 minutes til golden brown.

I know you're thinking "Sounds like a lot of work", but in actuality it has less kneading time and rising time.  It took a little over an hour to get two finished loaves from the oven and cooling on the stove.


No comments:

Post a Comment