Thursday, January 30, 2014

You never know what you'll find out.

My son, Rubic, would probably be surprised, but I don't hate technology.  I enjoy it in its place.  I have a Facebook account.  I like shopping online.  I have my blog.  The list goes on.  One of the things I very much appreciate is the ability to look things up online.  To have a random question that pops into my head answered with a couple of strokes of a keyboard.  This is a truly vital tool with which to learn more and more frugal things.  While some of my experiences come from my "experiments", much knowledge has been gleaned from "googling".  My latest excursion into a virtual encyclopedia concerned what makes up Poultry Seasoning and Allspice.  This led me to find this  recipe for Poultry Seasoning.  As for the Allspice, I discovered that true Allspice is derived from a berry.  One can, however, make an Allspice substitute by combining equal parts of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.  The internet, when used responsibly, is a cornucopia of information.  When in doubt, type your question in the box and see what you find.  A great resource. 

Due to our snow storm (hey 3 inches in Ga is a big thing), I have had the past two days off.  I have tried to  make the most of my time off and have been organizing closets.  I have the linen closet next to Rubic and Einstein's room, and my pantry closet.  It is nice to have things organized.  Now if it would stay that way.  I have also been trying to make as much as possible from scratch to keep from having to go to the grocery store.  I have to say it has been fun.  I have made mayo, cookies, granola bars, and a pumpkin pie(Yummm).  I have also been trying to use up stuff I already had on hand.  You know like when you need to use up that last bit of sour cream, or lettuce, etc.  A good thing to do to be sure.  This will also help with getting groceries later this week.  Plus nothing goes to waste. 

In preparation for spring, I have ordered my seeds for my cold weather crops.  They should  be here soon.  I can't wait!  I already have my trays ready to go and am working on a heat source for my greenhouse. 

So that is my update for today.  Not much I suppose, but a little none the less.  

Have a great day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment