Friday, January 31, 2014

And if you're not bored yet, give this a try

Because my life is So riveting, I thought you guys might like to get a gander of what my grocery shopping list looks like.  I know; ooooOooo so exciting....
Anyhoo, went to Sam's club today and picked up my normal things there and here is a sampling:

All Purpose Flour
Bread Flour
Sugar
Yeast (2lbs)
Olive Oil
Cheese slices
Cheddar Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese
Butter
Baking Powder
Baking Soda
Lemon Juice
Coffee Creamer

I also purchased some meds as well as laundry soap.  Still on my list of things to get at the regular store are Tomato paste, Tortilla chips, Celery, salsa, Toilet paper, and Bananas.  The real point of all of this is to show that while my list isn't filled with cake or cookie mixes, the latest boxed dinner, etc.  I can  take the staple items I have and put together whatever I need.  Last night I mixed up sausage to cook for breakfast.  Tonight I made pizza with a from scratch crust.  Tomorrow may have some sort of cookie or graham cracker recipe as well as Mayo.  Because I can put together the things myself, I pay less than the convenience food normally found in grocery stores.

( Mean while the very next day...).  So!  I cooked up 2/3 of the sausage today into patties and then the other 1/3 was browned as crumbles to make sausage gravy for biscuits this morning.  The patties will be frozen and used on an as needed basis.  I thought I would share my recipes for the sausage, biscuits, and gravy. 

For the sausage, I have discovered that Publix will grind meat for you if you ask them.  I bought 2 boneless pork loins.  I have the centers of each cut to chops, but the ends I had ground.  Whatever way you get ground meat, that is what you need.  This recipe can also be used with ground turkey.  So here goes

8 oz ground pork or turkey
2 TBS finely chopped red onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried Thyme
1/4 -1/2 tsp Sage
1/4 tsp ground Cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp salt

Mix everything in a bowl the night before and let it chill in the fridge to allow the flavors to meld.  Shape into patties or crumbles and use accordingly.

Being out of Shortening and not really wanting to buy more cause it is hydrogenated ya know, I tried something different.  Instead of cutting in shortening, I baked the biscuits in butter.  Here goes:

Preheat oven to 400. In a 9X13 baking pan, melt 1stick of butter.  You can use a 9X9 if you want and go as low as 1/2 stick of butter.  I think it will do fine.  This was my first undertaking this way so 1 stick is how I did it   Place the pan with the butter in the oven. While the butter is in the oven, melting, combine:

3 cups of flour (you can omit the baking powder and salt and just use self rising if you want.  I use 1 cup whole wheat flour with 2 cups all purpose flour so I keep the baking powder and salt).
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt

Mix the dry ingredients together then add:
1 Cup milk.

Knead a couple of times in the bowl and then turnout onto a slightly floured surface to roll out.  Roll out to about 3/4 in think.  Use a biscuit cutter (sometimes I will just shape them into round biscuits or use the ring to a canning jar) to cut out your biscuits.  Once the biscuits are cut out, your butter should be melted.  Remove the pan from the oven and one by one put your biscuits in the pan flipping once to coat with the butter.  Bake the biscuits in the oven about 15-20 minutes or until golden.


The gravy is the easiest to make.  It is just browning 6 oz of sausage and adding 2/3 cup of cream soup mix and 1 1/2 cups of water.   Bring to a boil on a med heat to thicken.  Serve hot over biscuits.  For the Cream Soup mix recipe, you can find it on my blog here:

 http://frugalmavensdailyrave.blogspot.com/2011/09/for-cary-ann-and-teresa-and-anyone-else.html








No comments:

Post a Comment