Sunday, January 6, 2013

Sugar free/dairy free granola..IT'S GOOD!

Have I mentioned that my Knight and I are starting a modified Daniel fast tomorrow?  No meat, no dairy, no leavened breads, but we are going to allow small amounts of raw honey, black coffee, and un-sweet tea.  With that thought in mind I experimented with a recipe for an appropriate granola for breakfast.  What I came up with was this recipe:

4 Cups Oats
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup flax seed, ground
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup raisins
2/3 cup raw honey
1 ts ground cinnamon
1 ts pure vanilla extract
dash salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a good size greased (with coconut oil)cookie sheet mix all of the dry ingredients reserving the raisins  In a small sauce pan take your honey and coconut oil and melt together.  Bring to a boil then remove from heat.  Add your vanilla to the syrup mixture.  Pour over your dry ingredients.  Mix well, using your hands when able to do so.  Spread evenly in the pan.  Bake in oven for 20 minutes, removing from oven to stir and re-spread after 10 minutes. After the 20 min, take out of the oven and stir in the raisins.  Let cool without disturbing.  Store in an air tight container.

On the update front, we have patched the tub and it should be ready for use today(Check!), so no need to pay anyone to fix that.  Definitely money saved.  We went to Lowes and found (with the help of Matt at Lowes) a shade for my recessed light in the kitchen.  Now it won't blow cold air on my head when I am cooking (Check!).  Got that info from the guy that came out to fix my leaking faucet.  My biggest news is that my Dryer started working!  I know right!  How cool is that!  My Knight was pulling the dryer out to remove the power cord and he thought to try it one more time to see if it would work.  It worked and so far so good.  So no need to buy another dryer.  What a blessing!  Now you have to know both of use have periodically tried to run the dryer on over the past weeks but to no avail.  Why it worked this time is beyond me unless you want to give credit where it is do.  THANK YOU LORD!  So needless to say I am doing lots of laundry.  Sheets, too.  Now don't let this tell you I shouldn't hang out clothes.  We have come to the realization that to hang clothes in the spring and summer saves electricity, but to dry them in the dryer in the winter actually saves on my heating bill.  So electric dryers have their season, but I can go without if needed. So I am celebrating my dryer.
So anyway, I hope you enjoy the recipe.  And hope you have a great rest of your day and until we meet again.


No comments:

Post a Comment